Your faith, did you lose it? When your happily ever after didn’t turn out as you imagined, when 2020 turned the world upside down, people want to know who they can count on.
Is there a God and does he see me? Can I trust him? Is he worthy of my faith? These are questions many are asking as evidenced by the ground-breaking TV series, The Chosen. The seven-season series about the life of Christ through the eyes of those who experienced him is the highest crowd-funded project in history and being viewed around the globe as quickly as the app can reach.
What happens when you lose your faith? More than hope, faith is the spirit-deep anticipation of good to come. Sure, life is hard, but faith is the incentive to embrace life. Failure, fear, discouragement, pain, and grief can cause you to lose your faith in yourself, in the future, and in the goodness of God.
“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” ~ Thomas Aquinas
Explore your faith with this simple and entertaining path you can take to grow spiritually with your family.
- Heaven and Earth by The Bible Project
- The Chosen by Dallas Jenkins
- Brand: New by Andy Stanley
- That The World May Know by Ray Vander Laan
- The Bible Project
Watch A Video
- Heaven and Earth is a six minute video that explains what faith, God, and Jesus is about and why it has anything to do with you in the most clear and concise way I’ve encountered. Heaven and Earth starts at the very beginning, which is a very good place to start. But not in the sense that you would begin reading the Bible with Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” This is better.
In less than seven minutes, the approximate time it takes to read a chapter in the Bible, The Bible Project animates who is God, our relationship with our Creator, why Jesus came as the Son of God and died on the cross, and what is our future.
Crowd-funded, The Bible Project is a treasure trove of digestible videos that explain faith by book, theme, or series. The videos are like vitamins – small and packed with life-giving stuff.
The Bible Project shows how the Bible is one unified story that leads to Jesus. Additional resources include podcasts, blogs, and easy to follow plans to read and study the Bible. But for now, just be certain to begin by watching Heaven and Earth.
Your Faith In Film
- The Chosen is worth every minute you can carve out to watch. This multi-year TV series about the life of Jesus is different than anything ever created about Christ. Told from the point of view of the people who lived in that time with real problems and challenging relationships just like you and me today, we see how and why Jesus makes a difference.
This life-changing series is the largest crowd-funded project in history, people around the world pay it forward so others can watch. Done completely outside Hollywood or any other restrictions, The Chosen is nourishment for the soul, appropriate for children, and easily used as family Bible time.
Watch The Chosen free as many times as you like by downloading the free app, titled The Chosen, on your phone. I promise you’ve never encountered anything on screen as well done and life-changing. As Jesus says in season one, “Get used to different.”
Listen To A Broadcast
- Many of us have been hurt, disappointed, or betrayed by the church. Many have stopped attending, left, and rejected organized religion for very good reasons. Brand: New is five fascinating messages that assures that the very things you dislike about the church are the same things people who attend dislike. More importantly, the aspects you dislike about the church are the characteristics Jesus came to eliminate.
This fast-paced, honest series by Andy Stanley puts the church and its role in your life into focused perspective. We are healthier when we stay away from the toxicity and make room for a healthy relationship with Jesus. Brand: New assures that you are right about the areas that are messed up with church. Here’s how to put judgement where it belongs while not throwing out grace, forgiveness, mercy, joy, and Jesus.
Take A Virtual Field Trip
- Ray Vander Laan is vastly knowledgeable about Jewish history and the Bible. In an extended video series titled That The World May Know produced by Focus on the Family and Zondervan (Harper Collins) Publishing, Ray takes you to exact places in Israel where the stories in the Bible finally make perfect sense in the context of the setting.
After watching several of episodes of That The World May Know with my children for family Bible time, my nine-year-old son asked Jesus into his heart. The faith lessons are so clear, even the children understand.
Many libraries carry That The World May Know. I’ve also found the video volumes available online, sometimes on Youtube, and websites. Purchase the videos through That the World May Know Ministries, Focus on the Family.org, Zondervan, and Amazon.
Go Online to Explore Your Faith
5. Which brings us full circle back to The Bible Project. The free, online, resource-packed website is always adding to their inventory of videos, podcasts, Bible studies, posters, books, and study notes.
The Bible Project appeals to all learning styles through their multi-media variety. While deeply academic, the teaching is so simple and visual that children easily follow.
These five resources are a solid foundation into faith and help you view the Bible as familiar and welcoming, rather than intimidating and confusing. The order presented is merely my suggestion. Feel free to do what works best for you, your family, and your faith journey.
When much that is precious in your life becomes marred, your tender heart longs to honor the holy and sacred. To be assured that God’s promises are true. To know that God sees you, loves you and your children unconditionally, and never leaves or forsakes you.
For more on this topic, check out
What To Do When You Don’t Want To Go To Church by PeggySue Wells and Pat Palau